The National Institute for Rocket Propulsion Systems (NIRPS) supports the preservation and advancement of the nation’s rocket propulsion industrial base to ensure that it continues to serve its vital role in national security, space exploration, economic growth, and education. The Institute stewards U.S. leadership in rocket propulsion by:
- Collaborating and cooperating with the government, commercial and academic propulsion communities to most effectively use national capabilities and resources
- Monitoring public- and private-sector rocket propulsion activities to define and strengthen a healthy rocket propulsion industrial base
- Facilitating technical solutions for today's challenges
- Evaluating and recommending new technologies for further development
- Providing the information required by national decision-makers so that policies and other instruments of the government support the sustainment, and where appropriate, the advancement of the nation’s civil, defense, and commercial propulsion capabilities.